Saturday 20 February 2010

Terror Scribes Gathering - Leicester - 19th May 2001

This gathering, organised by Sue Phillips and Anna Franklin, was held at Tabasco Jaz in Leicester. The venue was a superb choice - gargoyles on the walls, spooky back-lit mirrors, toilets decked out as labyrinths. The company was equally as good.

I arrived to find John B. Ford, Derek Fox, Rob Rowntree and Lisa Negus at the bar. Cardinal Cox and friend arrived soon after, followed by Sue and her husband Morgan, son Jon and his girlfriend. We all adjourned to our allotted area and were soon joined by Anna and her husband and Simon Bestwick.

The first thing to do was read through the Drabble book - Sue did an excellent job with it and I'm pleased with my single entry. Others (like Rob, Lisa and Suellen Luwish), really went to town and helped to make the book a superb record of the event. A raffle - in aid of the RSPCA - was conducted and I'd posted an idea on Sue's board that attending writers and artists sign a piece of their work as a prize. This was taken up and I won "Sister" by Simon and Rob took home "Speckles". There was work by Sue, Anna, Derek, David Gemmell, John B., Freda Warrington, Joe Rattigan, Gillian Holmes and others.

Terror Scribe awards were then handed out - John B. won for helping to pull the small press together (a job he does very well) and Suellen (who has chosen me as her writing mentor and who produces some very good stuff) won for the best drabble.

The gathering quickly descended to conversation and most topics were discussed - foot & mouth, censorship, grim websites and video's of death and Derek's latest publishing ventures.

I left, along with the Northern Foursome, at 6.30 - happy, cigar'd to death and glad I'd come along. An excellent gathering with some great people, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Lisa Negus, Derek Fox, John B Ford, unknown, Cardinal Cox, Morgan Philips, Sue Philips, Rob Rowntree, me

No comments:

Post a Comment