Saturday 20 February 2010

Terror Scribes Rainfall Launch - Holborn, London - 4th October 2003

This was originally to be the launch of Joe Rattigan’s “Ghosts Far From Subtle” and my own “Strange Tales” but, unfortunately, problems at the printers meant it wasn’t ready. I knew that before we left, but Alison & I did a couple of T-shirts anyway (we printed the head image onto them, using a transfer kit with the PC and they certainly seemed to attract some attention).

We all met at the Princess Louise, where John Ford handed me the proof copy of the book and - to be perfectly honest - I had to sit quietly for a few moments, just turning it over in my hands. As a concept,
“Strange Tales” has been with me since 1987 and here I was, holding it in my hands. It was a very exciting (and quite emotional) moment and I was lost for words.

After the Princess Louise staff made it clear we weren't welcome, we headed off to the Cittie Of York pub (much nicer, it appears to have been built out of an old tunnel and had a nice Gothic feel to it). People sat chatting and then John announced the Rainfall News and the readings began. Mark Samuels was first, reading from “Black Altars” and he was followed by Stuart Young. As he started to read, salsa music suddenly came through the speakers and stayed on for the rest of the afternoon (though at a lower level of volume once he’d finished and no, the music didn’t quite fit any of the readings). After Stuart, I stood up to do “Toes” which went down very well (especially with Mike Philbin, who got straight away that it was a black comedy and laughed uproarously from about halfway through). Paul Kane finished off by reading a section from his Funny Bones collection.

We sat and chatted for a while, catching up with folks (briefly, John Ford and Lynne, Sarah Crabtree, Chris Teague, Paul Kane, Des Knight, Quentin Crisp, Bob Covington (and another artist), Gary Couzens (and partner), Martin Roberts and his girlfriend, Steve Lines, the afore-mentioned Messrs. Samuels, Young and Kane and some others I didn't know at all). Speaking to Chris, he seemed as interested in
“In The Rain With The Dead” as he’s ever been and was asking some intriguing questions about it.

Unfortunately, we had to leave soon after this to catch our train, but it was another good day in the company of my fellow Terror Scribes.

me, Des Knight, Quentin Crisp, Tony Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment